Oracle Forms Migration: Apex vs Java
Oracle Forms Migration:
Apex vs Java
Looking to migrate from Forms to Apex? Find out why Java - not Apex - is the best alternative to Oracle Forms.
If you are looking to migrate from Oracle Forms & Reports you have no doubt read a myriad of articles that have anointed APEX as the chosen alternative.
The argument is as follows: APEX is modern, light & fast and best of all, if you already have Oracle Forms then you have APEX since it’s a feature of Oracle Database.
Oracle itself is positioning APEX as “the clear platform of choice for easily transitioning Oracle Forms applications to modern web apps”. It has deployed its sales teams and amplified the Forms to APEX narrative so much that we are hearing from long time Forms clients worried that they will need to switch to an entirely new technology.
I would like to preface my recommendation by saying that Oracle Forms is far from dead and migrating away from Forms is not a necessity and should only be a strategic choice. In fact Michael Ferrante, Senior Principal Product Manager at Oracle, recently announced an Oracle Forms cloud update among other enhancements.
Having said that, if your objective is to move away from Oracle Forms, RENAPS officially recommends, without a shadow of a doubt, to migrate to Java instead of Apex.
5 reasons to convert Forms to Java vs. Apex
1. Time: They are very different technologies. Oracle Forms comes with many more Items, Properties and Built ins and Triggers that offer many more possibilities than APEX. For this reason alone it would be Impossible to convert 1 to 1 to APEX without requiring significant rethinking and redesign.
2. Hightened risk: Who says redesign says risk. Redesigning legacy applications will inevitably lead to bugs which will require time to fix and retest. (** see migration risk, complexity and timeline comparison)
3. Fit: Oracle APEX is a modern, fast development environment for creating web applications. To use a construction metaphor, a sleek, lightweight shovel is great to plant in a garden but not to dig a foundation. You could do it, but that’s not what it was designed for. Most Forms based applications are critical business applications powering Government, Manufacturing & Insurance technology. APEX was conceived for simple web applications. I have yet to see one case of a large critical business application be converted from Forms to APEX.
4. ORMIT™-Java our proprietary tool has automated the entire migration process from Forms to Java effectively eliminating risks associated with a migration. It is the only fully automated tool on the market.
5. Java let's you maintain your database structure and business logic as well as application modes & look and feel. It is a gradual and secure migration allowing you to switch back to Forms on the same database anytime. You have the option to modernize it as well.
The end goal of a technology migration is to ensure continued support, to be more nimble and free from certain licensing costs and to switch to a popular widespread technology.You can achieve all of this by migrating from Forms to Java. If you opt to switch from Forms to APEX you risk embarking on a perilous journey from which you may never reach your destination.